How to Grow Signet Marigolds in Pots
How I grew my Marigolds this year
This article is about the growth progress, and maintenance of the Marigolds throughout the current spring and summer season of 2026. Plus i will give some ideas on how to grow and Maintain Marigolds
When I started planting Marigold seeds outside
I usually grow the French Marigolds because they are 1 of the smaller Marigold varieties, but this yr I'm growing an even smaller variety of Marigolds, which are Signet Marigolds.
They grow orange and yellow flowers, and are good to plant in smaller pots.
I only have a small garden and started out with 1 packet of seeds and 1 Pot. These steps can also be used for multiple flowering plants in Pots.
I started the Marigolds outside when the weather was kind of warm out.
In mid April, the weather was in the 60s during the day, but at night the temperature was 40s and 50s degrees Fahrenheit, but atleast there was no frost or very cold temperatures.
When the temperature is still chilly, the plants took a little longer to sprout and start growing.
Marigolds do like the warm weather day and night for quicker growing.
I chose 1 pot, because its also easier for me to maintain the plants, to move around, pick up incase I need too, and move to a different spot in my yard.
The pot i chose is about 10 × 10 inches. I had to clean out some debris that was in it.
I used the same soil that was in it from last yr, which has regular yard soil and compost.
This pot is most likely going to be the Marigolds home for the whole season.
Last yr I planted French Marigolds in a rectangular planter which was about 2 ft long × 8 inches wide. I never took photos of it.
Below are Photos of the pot, growth progress of the Marigolds, and a little of what I did in each step.
How i prepared the soil for the Marigold seeds.
Here's a photo of the pot and soil before I planted the seeds.
All I did was cleaned up the little bit of debris, use a small shovel, chop and dig up the soil, because the soil was a little bit too compacted to grow anything in.
Then added some water to help loosen and mix the soil up, smoothened the top of the soil up with the small shovel, added the seeds.
I added a small amount of top soil, then very gentle watering to not move the seeds around too much.
Marigold sprouts 2 weeks later.
Here's a photo i took 2 weeks after I planted the Marigold seeds late April.
The Marigolds are beginning to sprout. I had to clean out some debris, then added a tiny bit of water gently.

Here is a photo of the Marigolds late April. Adding more seed
This photo i loosened up the soil around the Marigold sprouts, and sprinkled 2 more packets of seeds, 1 packet on each side of the sprouts and added a tiny bit of top soil, then watered gently.

Here is a photo in Early May.
I again needed to clean some debris around the Marigold sprouts and gently added water, because at this stage of growth too much watering would move the seeds and sprouts around.
Here is a photo in mid May.
I again needed to clean some debris off the top then more watering.
This time I could add a little more water, because the tiny plants and roots are a little bigger, and can handle more water.
Here is a Photo in Late May
Again there was a little bit of debris i had to clean up.
More watering. Not too much water, or soaking.
To water the plants i use a water bottle, and a small bucket, just basic tools.

Here is a photo in Early June.
I cleaned some debris, and added some water.
At this stage the tiny plants can handle more watering, because the roots are more developed and the watering and rain won't dislodge them.
It has rained out some days in between the times I've taken these photos, which does cut down on the times I water the plants.
I keep the Marigolds in a spot in my yard where they are in the sun most of the day and some shade.
Aerating the soil and how i did it
June 6th lightly watered. Cleaned debris.
June 7th airated the soil by poking holes in the soil unbetween the tiny Marigolds, so air can briefly get to the roots.
I used a ground solar light stake to poke holes.
Flowers starting to bloom
This photo is about 1 month and a few weeks since i planted Marigold Seeds.
Mid June 12th I watered the Marigolds.
They are growing taller and starting to sprout and grow flowers.
Here is a photo of the progress.
How and When I thinned out the overcrowded Marigolds
Yesterday June 15th I weeded a little bit around the Marigolds, loosened up the soil and gently pulled out 4 tiny Marigold Plants, and replanted them into another container i had Marigolds in last yr.
Im going to Take some more out and replant also. Thinning out the overcrowded Marigolds and replanting them will allow the plants to become bigger plants and grow more flowers.
Here is a photo of the other planter I am growing Marigolds in, and what i did to replant them in this planter.
This planter has the overcrowded Marigolds in it from the other pot.
I used the same soil i had Marigolds in last year, which is yard dirt and compost.
All I did was carefully wiggle out each tiny Marigold from the green pot.
I grabbed the Small solar light stake, went over to the white planter, used the light stake to poke about 8 holes halfway in the soil.
I widened each hole, and loosened the soil a little, so the tiny Marigolds can plant easily.
I spaced each hole about 4 inches away from each other so the Plants have room and planted each tiny Marigold plant.
Finally i added some soil back to cover the roots, watered gently.
After watering, some of the plants tilted, so I straightened them out, added more soil to help straighten the plants then gentle watering again.
The plants did wilt a tiny bit because of being dug up and moved but has since have revived the day after.
Here is a photo of the transplanted Marigolds in the rectangular planter and the growth progress.
Most recent photo of the transplanted Marigolds
Here is a photo from 4 days ago June 20th. The flowers are blooming. I watered them this day.
Here is a photo June 24th and also after a 1 day rain storm. I dont have to water them for a couple days. The flowers are blooming more.
I ended up thinning more Marigolds out of this main pot and replanted them in another pot.
Earlier in the week it rained out a couple of days so I didn't need to water the plants. We have a few small buckets in the yard to catch the rain water, and i use the collected water to water the plants a few days after.
Today I took out a couple tiny weeds, and deadheaded some dried out marigold flower heads. Deadheading is when the flower heads are dry, then can be clipped off and saved because the seeds are inside, which can be saved to grow more marigolds or for the next yr.
Here is a photo of the dry flower heads.
Photo taken July 12th
More flowers have close to dried up. So more deadheading today.
July 20th I clipped off more dry flower heads, and am saving them in this small pot. I also watered the plants, because the soil was dry.
More Photos of the growth progress and maintenance of the Marigolds throughout the season.
Visit the main blog page above for gardening tips on growing Marigolds.
Thank you for viewing
About me
Privacy Policy
Comments
Post a Comment